Friday, August 7, 2009

Handstands

Do you know my favorite part about doing a handstand? If you said falling on your back and coughing for about the next two minutes while trying to regain your wind; then, you are correct.

Actually, I can't even do handstand. The question should of said headstand, but I like to think of my attempted headstands as handstands that end before I get the chance to get into full handstand position. In my mind there are 4 phases to a handstand. First, you do a tripod (they used to teach this in elementary schools). Then, you extend your feet into the air to do a headstand. Next, you extend your elbows to complete the handstand. Finally, there is the dismount. I am not very good at the last two phases; and I am not too worried about trying to improve.

The whole reason that I am writing this is because of some random occurrence that happened today. I was, calmly, sitting on the couch watching television; when, I got some thought in my head that I was going to do something at the next commercial. Upon the commercial break's arrival, I could no longer remember what I was going to do. I asked myself, "what was I going to do again?". Spontaneously, the word handstand popped into my head. I knew that this was not what I was originally going to do; however, I figured I would try to do one since my last attempt was quite a long time ago. So, I begin my handstand (following my 4 phase handstand algorithm earlier described). I make it to the second phase; then, I flop on my back after about two seconds and start coughing while I try to recover from the ordeal.

This is the second time in the last few days that some random idea has popped into my head which I decided to follow through with. It is becoming sort of my new favorite past time.

No comments:

Post a Comment